Design Problem:

Given the visualization constraint of Nightingale Roses, how can we display the Energy Demand data in an understandable format while being truthful to the data.


This was the first project I helped out with during my time as a research assistant at the Ilab. I entered into the design midway so there was a bit of catching up, however, I quickly analyzed the data and understood the design program. We were given 40 years of energy data. Most of it was predictions made by the NEB team. The data showed the growth and decline of different energy sources in each provinces. With the roses we were able to create small multiples, but we had issues with the scale in which the data should be shown. If we showed them in a linear scale, the majority of the data would be too small to see. Hence we would need an interaction to allow the user to zoom into the roses to view the exact numbers.

If we used exponential scales, the data could be misread and misunderstood. This conclusion came from the fact that most people aren’t used to exponential graphs based on countless of research in that area. There was a few other alternatives that we thought of, however, many had its issues and we ended up settling for percentages instead. Even using percentages for the roses were tricky in itself. Lots of design considerations had to be done, and lots of revisions happened during the course of the project.


  • Sketched out all of the possible scales we could use within the roses and wrote out the positives and negatives for each one
  • Made the majority of the design mockups for the development team
  • Created paper prototypes for┬áthe province comparison mode to figure out the best layout and interaction flows
  • Designed and created a video highlight the animations for the province pills


Adobe Illustrator

Adobe Premier

Muji Ball Point Pen

Sketch Book





April 2017 - May 2017


Data Visualization | Design

Data Visualization